Monday, April 16, 2007

Primary Sources and NARA

This is great stuff. I never knew anything about Primary Sources and NARA. I consider this a great find that will enhance the students learning experience when I teach face-to-face classes or completely online classes. I plan on substituting one of the writing assignments for an assignment where students have to use http://www.archives.gov/index.html to access primary sources of information on one of the individuals who have influenced psychology/sociology. I intend on suppling them with several names of individuals (e.g., Ivan Pavlov, B.F. Skinner or John B. Watson) associated with psychology and tell them to search these archives for a primary source document print it out and write a two page paper describing the primary source, how it is related to the individual they were researching, and how the feel searching for a primary source helped enhance their learning experience. I will do the same thing for a sociology class but substitute individuals who influenced sociology (e.g. Emily Durkheim, Herbert Spencer or George Herbert Mead).

No comments: